For Greene County News
COLUMBUS — Ohio Treasurer Josh Mandel announced today the release of his Fiscal Year 2015 Annual Report highlighting the work being done to make government more transparent and open to the people.
“Since taking the oath as Ohio Treasurer in 2011, I’m proud that the work we have accomplished over the past five years has earned the trust of Ohioans,” said Treasurer Mandel. “By launching OhioCheckbook.com and posting government spending online, we are empowering taxpayers across Ohio to hold public officials accountable.”
The report also highlights how Treasurer Mandel has:
– Launched OhioCheckbook.com, which sets a new national standard for government transparency and for the first time in Ohio history puts all state spending information on the internet;
– Earned Ohio the #1 government spending transparency ranking in the country, climbing from 46th to 1st as a result of the launch of OhioCheckbook.com according to the U.S. Public Interest Research Group (U.S. PIRG);
– Created transparency partnerships with Ohio’s local governments and schools to place their spending information online at OhioCheckbook.com;
– Unveiled over 100 local government and school district sites launched on OhioCheckbook.com as part of the first wave of spending websites;
– Expanded the Treasurer’s Transparency Project by partnering with the State Library of Ohio to publish online centuries of annual financial reports;
– Generated a surplus each year, saving taxpayers $7 million in total savings over the past five fiscal years;
– Provided Ohio schools, cities and local governments with an innovative and fully secure new investment vehicle that surpassed $2.2 billion in deposits, with over 600 local governments opening accounts;
– Saved $29 million in interest payments by refinancing state debt;
– Improved financial literacy education for Ohioans through additional enhancements and updates;
– Expanded online course offerings for the Center for Public Investment Management (CPIM);
– Earned a clean audit four years in a row from Ohio Auditor Dave Yost’s office.
View the full Fiscal Year 2015 Annual Report at www.OhioTreasurer.gov.
Story courtesy of Ohio treasurer’s office.